Travel Scholarships provide an opportunity to study practice elsewhere in the United Kingdom and/or overseas to enhance care in the UK.
These scholarships are available to Nurses and Midwives who have current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council and who work and are resident in the United Kingdom. They are awarded for projects connected with the applicant's field of work and which will benefit their patients/service users and the profession more widely.
Up to £5,000 of funding is available for the scholar to study an aspect of practice and/or education in the UK or overseas.
General and specialist scholarships are available. General scholarships are open to nurses and midwives who wish to study practice or education in any area of clinical care.
Specialist scholarship opportunities are available for the following:
- Association of Respiratory Nurse Specialists Scholarships give an opportunity for nurses working within the UK in respiratory services to travel in the UK and/or overseas to visit and learn from identified best practice to bring back to improve patient care in the UK.
- RCN Foundation Scholarships are an opportunity for nurses and midwives wishing to demonstrate the role of clinical leadership in the management of long term conditions. We would be particularly interested in applicants who wish to travel and study new models of care, patient safety and improvement projects, and bring back evidence to improve the care of people with long term conditions in their local community and the wider UK.
- Bupa for nurses and midwives working within Bupa in the UK.
- Charlie Waller Scholarships for research into adolescents and young adults with depression and/or other mental health issues. The criteria to apply for one of these scholarships would include:
- Focus on mild to moderate depression in young people (in school, universities, work place, etc.);
- Topics might include keeping mentally well, providing coping strategies/early interventions, the role of a nurse as a therapist and working as part of a wider team; and
- is for nurses who come into front line contact with young people (school nurses and practice nurses).
- Menat Trust Scholarships are for nurses working in the area of care for children and families with cardiac anomalies.
- Cooperation & Working Together (CAWT) and Department of Health (NI) Scholarships are for nurses and midwives, registered with either the NMC or the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland and who work in the CAWT Region of either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.